Thursday, January 28, 2010

continuation

I still haven't even scratched the surface on what reporting is going to be like. Before this class, I had done some extremely light reporting for my News Workshop class. I had covered a comic book panel at the Miami International Book Fair, and I had reported on a story about Laptop musicians at FIU. Just some light interviewing and research-- nothing epic.

Now I'm in Reporting and we're coming up with story ideas. Reisner gives us sort of a rundown of how he'd perform these reports. He would check this and that, go to political officers and what-not. If I was to report on something, I'd probably just write a really superficial look at the story and subject. I feel like I just need to tap into that mindset. I am a student, though, and I'm obviously in this class to learn it.

And this project is just really skyrocketing. The South Florida Times is picking us up! They're gonna be hosting a web page for our paper, and devoting an entire page of their newspaper to the Liberty City Link. Hopefully this thing skyrockets more, right?

I'm taking a conscious/necessary effort to learn more about the Miami political system. First, by seeing who our city commisioners are. The only commisioner I knew of was Michelle Spence-Jones, who is in charge of District 5, which covers Liberty City. She's had a pretty rough year, y'know , with the whole corruption thing. She was suspended and now Rev. Richard Dunn is the new commissioner. Liberty City kinda reminds me of the fictional city in the Batman comics Gotham City. Just a lot of violence and corruption going on. Looking at the city that way makes it less scary for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment